Five days after the four senior Justices rebelled against the CJI openly holding a press conference, the supreme court is set to handle 8 important cases today. These crucial cases have great expectation from the common people and also from the judicial fraternity.
The cases to be heared are
!. Re-examine the Constitutional validity of Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) which criminalises homosexuality.
2. Listen to petitions challenging the validity of Aadhaar card and its mandatory linking with government services, banks, mobiles phones etc.
3. Will examine the ban on the entry of women in Kerala’s Sabarimala temple, situated in Pathanamthitta district, restricts women aged between 10 and 50 from taking the pilgrimage.
4. Re-examine the provisions of adultery as a criminal offence in India and the penalty for the same. The law has been in the centre of controversy for being discriminatory towards men.
5. The constitutional bench to examine whether a Parsi woman loses her religious identity after marrying a man of another religion.
6. To examine the 30-day limitation stipulated in Section 13 of the Consumer Protection Act.
7. Will listen to arguments, whether a ‘legislator facing criminal trial be disqualified at the very stage of framing of charges against him by the trial court’?.
8. Listen to arguments on M/s Shanti Fragrances v Union Of India over Tax Issue And Revisit Of Prevailing Rule Of Precedence.