Uyyakondan Thirumali Temple or Karkudimalai or Thirumalainallur .A Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva, located 5 km west of Tiruchirapalli in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The temple is located in a small hillock on the banks of Uyyakondan channel. It is one of the 275 Paadal Petra Sthalams, where all of the four most revered Nayanars (Saivite Saints) have sung glories of the deity in this temple. The temple has inscriptions from the Chola period.The temple is located on a rock about 30 feet tall and is surrounded by a slender wall.The temple is reached by a fleet of steps. The shrine of Vinayagar is located in a cut in the first 10 steps and the other shrines are located on the hillock. The whole temple is fortified and the temple tank is located inside the fortification.The temple is built in Sembian age of Cholas around 950 CE. The main deity of the temple faces western direction. There are two shrines of Goddess in the temple.The temple has inscriptions dating from Kulothunga Chola I (1070-1118 CE), that speaks of separate community known as ‘Rathakarar’, a sect of expert capenter skilled in the art of designing and making temple cars. The temple was occupied by French and English forces during the siege of Trichonopoly (old Tiruchirapalli) in 1753-54.After the war battle of Sugar-loaf rock, English Major Lawrence marched against the fortified temple and carried it by assault.
- Subscribe for Us to get trending and sensational news of Trichy Immediately
- Corona Epidemic 19 Awareness Campaign Banner
- Tn Govt Attempting to implement various projects with Corona mission – K.N. Nehru
- Trichy Public Relations Officer transferred in two days!
- Ilegally jewels are hypothecated in a shop near trichy
- Theft in a vehicle confiscated and parked at a police station; Two arrested!
- 150 liters of alcohol found near Trichy!
- Strict action if kept around with fake e-record
- CM’s requesition letter to the Prime Minister
- Rs.2.83 lakh abuse – former police Superintendent arrested in trichy